Saw 65 films over the past 365 days. I’m not sure what I was doing for the other 300 days. Probably having a life. Anyway, here are some notes:
Top 5 films I Saw in the Theater Last Year:
- Moonrise Kingdom. Times viewed: 2. OK, I may be a sucker for Wes Anderson, but, this film seemed to have a certain whimsical melancholy that made it a wonderful snack. I think it may be time to update that list …
- The Dark Knight Rises. Times viewed: 2. This was the perfect ending of the Christopher Nolan trilogy … even if it was a little long. Michael Caine should be nominated for an Oscar. Of course, I think the Lollipop Guild is a valid organization …
- The Avengers. Times viewed: 3. Fun, fun, fun. Mark Ruffalo’s Bruce Banner made me think “Edward Who?” … and the Hulk had some of the best scenes in the movie. Say what you want about Marvel the comics, Marvel the movies are enjoyable.
- Argo. Times viewed: 1. Maybe it’s time we give Ben Affleck his due … then again, maybe it’s time to rewatch Gigli, too.
- Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Times viewed: 1 (in 2012, 1 in 2011). Saw this in the cheap theater in March, so it counts. The whole Mission Impossible franchise has gotten better with age, and I enjoyed this because I refused to take it too seriously.
Admittedly, there were several other films that could have taken the #5 spot … but that’s just the first one to pop in my head. What would your five be?
Worst Movie of the Year: Joyful Noise. Seriously. I think I would watch 2 Madea movies and another round of Twilight … OK, maybe not. If I rewatched Joyful Noise, at least I’d be done in under two hours. The Movie Night group watched this with a guy who, afterward, was so mad he didn’t go back to Movie Night for four months.
Surprise Movie of the Year: A Cabin in the Woods. Not a big horror movie buff, but this one was good because it didn’t take itself too seriously and offered a meta-commentary on the whole genre.
Most Disappointing Movie of the Year: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Not sure what I was expected, but after reading and thoroughly enjoying the book I probably got my hopes up a little too high. Maybe if I watched it again …
Well, there’s a brief summary. Take a gander at the page and offer your own thoughts and views. And happy watching for 2013!