Was in Virginia Beach, Va., for a day to take part in a weird hazing ritual, but that didn’t stop me from making this car rental soundtrack. I needed something “peppy” and “motivating,” thought it does kind of mellow out at the end.
By the way, that peppiness and motivation is all crap. But it’s still a good CD. If anyone is driving a blue Subaru Impreza with a scratch on the fender and dent in the door, let me know.
- Thunder Struck, AC/DC. One of the best opening guitar licks of all time.
- Energy, The Apples In Stereo. Free off of Amazon.com. It just seems like a happy song.
- The Plot That Weaves, Brothers Martin. Oh, if only Starflyer 59 or Joy Electric could sound like this all the time.
- The News (Extended Version), Carbon Silicon. Thanks, again, Will. All the news is good.
- Freedom, Daniel Johnston. The enigma that is Daniel Johnston. With the full instrumentation, I can almost get to like his voice. Free.
- Keep It Real, Jonas Brothers. Does this song destroy street cred?
- Don’t Stop Believin’, Journey. Is this really the most downloaded song on iTunes? I don’t care. Bring me a bandanna and parachute pants.
- Why Don’t You Look Into Jesus, Larry Norman. Heard about this song at a recent Pop Culture conference. It has a real southern rock vibe to it.
- Hotel California (Spanish Mix), Gipsy Kings. The song to easily one of the most memorable scenes in all of filmdom.
- Starlight, Muse. The band just released a new album, has a track on the New Moon soundtrack and is opening for U2. Life seems to be good for them.
- Dead Flowers, Townes Van Zandt. Another gem from the closing scene / credits of The Big Lebowski.
- Strangers, The Kinks. Staying with the film theme, I loved the use of this song in The Darjeeling Limited.
- Up Against the Wall, Peter Bjorn and John. Good vibe.
- Three Little Birds (B Is Version), Bob Marley & The Wailers. This acoustic version is possibly my favorite version and I only discovered it by watching children’s television. What a happy song.
- Blue Skies, Noah and the Whale. Good vibe. Free song.
- It Takes Two, Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock. Pump up the jam.
- Lost, Morrissey. Required Morrissey inclusion.
- Tumbling Tumbleweeds, Sons of the Pioneers. Again, from The Big Lebowski. This is probably better as an opener, but had to take a back seat to AC/DC.
Here are some other car rental soundtracks.